Behold A White Horse

Designed to bring you closer to God and the true primitive Christianity begun by Jesus through understanding scripture and prophecy.


Religion today is in very real danger of crumbling under the weight of perception and public opinion. Atheism, agnosticism, and disenchantment are all on the rise. Religion suffers attacks from within and without. It is also viewed as being archaic, out of touch in addition to being a source for a great deal of abuse. It is, unfortunately, true that religion, by its very nature, has brought a lot of this upon itself and as a consequence of this much of the message, specifically the prophetic message, is being lost.

But religion is not faith, nor is church a building or a brand denomination. Religion is nothing more than the man-made rules and structures that have grown up and surrounded the simple truth of faith, belief and understanding.

Through the pages of this blog I intend to explore the simple truth and simple church brought to us by Jesus. In finding the church that Jesus founded, unhindered by man's rules, we will be able to find the truth to the prophetic messages of the Bible and a simpler, truer way to live.

I hope you will enjoy taking this journey with me and feel free to comment or share your own stories.

Tracey Alley

Sunday 20 January 2013

Are You Looking For God Or The Devil?


I have a beautiful statue of Buddha in my house and a friend recently questioned me, asking me if I wasn't worshipping a false idol.  In answer I pointed out my collection of abstract African art, all of which depicts human beings in some form or other, my statue of a Japanese Samurai warrior and my vast collection of Egyptian artworks.  I went on to explain that I have these things not because I'm worshipping them but because I find them beautiful.  To me they are nothing more that simple decorations.  

It reminded me though of the sad truth that if you look for the devil you will definitely find him.  Whether it's in art, in statues, in songs or movies.  He is everywhere.  In fact, the Bible tells us he is the Prince of this world.  That doesn't mean though that we have to look for him or fear him in human made things.  God tells us that if we follow The Way and are disciples of Christ then the devil cannot hurt us.  That in fact he will flee from us because we have Christ living within us.

The Bible teaches us to love our 'enemies', to do good to them that hurt you, to turn the other cheek.  That is not so different from the Buddhist concept of Karma.  Buddhism also teaches followers to 'do no harm'.  Sounds a lot like the teachings of God to me.  Why should I focus on the differences between myself and my Buddhist brother when I could instead focus on the common ground that we have and perhaps make a friend.  This doesn't mean that I intend or advocate practising their faith, far from it.  All God asks of us is that we respect people's right to think differently than we do.  It is not our place to call people to God by trying to impose our will upon them.  Simply speaking the Truth and living The Way is more than enough evangelizing. 

You would be hard pressed at the present time to find two greater enemies than traditional Christianity and Islam and yet, again, I find many similarities to my Islamic brothers.  I hold to many of the tenants of Islam, like giving aid to the poor or putting God's will above my own.  These are things that true disciples of Christ try to incorporate into their everyday lives and so do many of our Muslim brothers.  We can, if we look, find God in Islam rather than the devil.

You will find, if you truly look, that we share many similarities with those we consider 'different' and God tells us that it is better for us to find those things we have in common rather than focus on the things we don't.  Paul tells us not to argue amongst each other about doctrine.  The same can be said of our brothers and sisters of different faiths - don't look for the devil, seek God in their beliefs and find common ground.  You just might turn an enemy into a friend.

Satan is everywhere, you don't need to go looking for him but I guarantee that if you do, you WILL find him.  You can find him in anything to the point where you become scared of your own shadow.  Instead God would rather that you to concentrate on Him, focus on the coming Kingdom and learn the ways of Jesus.  We've already got plenty of things we could argue about, why not be a little different and seek instead the things we can agree on and remember the example set by Jesus.  He ate with 'sinners, women and tax collectors'.  Jesus' love for those who were considered as outcasts by their society is our example for the way we should live our lives. 

So I'll keep my statue of Buddha, and my Samurai warrior and my African and Egyptian art.  They are merely things of beauty, not items of worship.  I'll also keep looking for the things I have in common with those who are considered different, be it a different faith, a different colour or nationality.  I'll keep trying to submit my will to that of God and keep trying to be a true follower of The Way.


In love,
Tracey

No comments:

Post a Comment